Caddis Emerger / Cripple
Tyer: Gary Woerdehoff
Hook: Curved caddis larva hook #14-20
Thread: Match color of fly or black
Body/Shuck: Z-lon, Antron
Wing: Deer or elk hair
Hackle: Dry fly quality
1. Start thread 1/4 of hook length behind eye and proceed to bend.
2. Tie in Z-lon/Antron leaving "shuck" protrude past hook bend.
3. Twist material into a rope and wind in close turns to where thread stops and tie off.
4. Tie hair in caddis style.
5. Tie in hackle and make 2-3 turns.
6. Tie off. Thin shuck and trim length if required.
Note: Use white antron and color match insects with permanent marker - only color bottom for better visibility. On stream cut off tail for adult caddis. Tie more upright wing to suggest mayfly - shuck now becomes tail. Only dress wing and hackle and sink shuck to imitate cripple/emergent caddis.